Sunday, September 16, 2012

updating with a heavy heart and a clouded mind.

12. September-
I feel awful about this, the fact that i haven’t written in my journal since the 2nd not to mention didn’t write what i did on my trip to Berlin.... stupid jon.... anyways a quick synopsis:
last week monday i had my last day of my German Speaking course, then 2 days later left for Spreewald (und Luebben) which are cities just outside of Berlin with the very gracious Antje Sommerfeld. We (myself, anya benedicto- exchange student with antje from the Phillipines, and antje) had a great time, we attended a party with many different bands that took place all over Luebben, went to see the Nachtnaechter (spelling??) who is for all intensive purposes is a tour guide that dresses up in ‘ye old’ get-up and explains the days of old. We also went “Moped farhen” *moped/motorcycle driving* and “Pilzen Suchen” *searching for mushrooms* and “paddeln” *Kayaking* and finally made our way to the inner city of Berlin... the Brandenburger Tor (Brandenburg gate) etc. Lastly, today was my first day back to KGS (my school) and it couldn’t have gone any better, i show up after being able to take a bus (sooooooo nice not having to ride bike) and my friend Luca had said, “yeah we don’t have 1st, 2nd, or 3rd classes, so we’re going to Campus Suite, come on with?” ….. to which my response was, HECK YES! following that i only had one class, Biology, which flew on by. Just as i was heading to my bus stop to go home, it started to POUR! really raining hard... The days are getting colder and colder, much faster than back home in Wisco, and on top of that then it becomes freezing rain.. but this is one terrential downpour that will not dampen my spirits.... Gute Nacht :)


14. September-
Today, following a day at school, my exchange student friends and I (Anya-Philippines, Paola- Mexico, Rodrigo-Peru, Vivi-Thailand, Brian aka Chen-Chu Kao- Thaiwan, Mariel-Mexico) drove off to Heide for our very first RYE conference (inbound orientation). After doing the necessary ‘meet-n-greet’ and making many new friends we all partied till we couldn’t party no more thanks to the dance put on by the Rotex and Rotarians. The following day (15. September) all 66 exchange student inbounds, Rotex and Rotarians took a boat off the Helgoland, an island that requires a ‘luxurious’ 3 hour boat-ride. And after everyone had finished puking (literally, everyone did) we walked around the island saw where the seals had beached themselves, and then went to eat a Goulash (spelling??) lunch at one of Helgoland’s Rotarian’s Restaurants. I, preferably didn’t want to get sick on the return journey, so i decided to sleep in the boat... and the bus.... and back in my room. I must admit i was comatose for a solid 5-6 hours. We broke off into our own little groups and did our Rotary activities but i believe that the most fun, was just to hang out with my new friends.... Honestly though, I was rather disappointed with a few of the cultural groups of exchangers, i noticed that they would always remain with the people of their native land, and while i can sympathise for their discomfort, i was expecting more of a cultural mesh to occur... guess i should just always stay true to the exchanger rules... Rule #1 don’t make any prior expectations, cuz then nothing will fall short nor exceed what you believe to be true... well that was my update for the conference seeing as though we didnt have internet at the hostel so... Gute Nacht :)

16. September-
…...... Nothing will tear an exchange student apart more than when he/she hears of the death of someone close to them. I find that when this occurrence is worse, is when the death is of a RYE family member.... I was stricken when i came home from my conference to read this email from my home District Chair, Ron Skow...
"Dear Rotarians, students, and parents-- It is with a sad heart that I’m writing to inform you that Tomas Saravi passed away last night at approximately 11:45pm. He died peacefully with his parents, Miguel & Florencia, and uncle Hugo by his bedside. He will live on through his gift of organ donation. Tomas was a real hero in that he was able to help others in need. This was a real comfort to his parents. His parents are also comforted by the fact that Tomas affected the lives of so many people during his exchange. This was obvious during the past week. Miguel & Florencia and Hugo wish to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Please continue to keep them in your prayers as there is still a lot of paperwork and arrangements to be made before their return to Argentina. This will be a busy and difficult time for the family. Please contact me if you have any questions. Yours in Rotary, Ron Skow"
…...... I had the greatest pleasure in getting to know Tomi before i left for my own exchange and i believe that he was prime model for what every exchange student ought to wish to be. There are others who have been hit harder by this loss, and i ask that you only keep them all in your thoughts, and should the religion pertain to you, in your prayers as well.... i would like to end the post with my standard... ‘Gute Nacht... :) ‘ ….. but i’m afraid tonight isn’t a good night for me....

R.I.P---- Thomas (Tomi) Savari, an exchange student, a friend, and a family member...

1 comment:

  1. You can also find some scholarship programs that would significantly reduce the financial cost of your education overseas.
    study abroad

    ReplyDelete