Sunday, January 27, 2013

6 Month mark

This is it ladies and gents. I've reached the most dreaded and celebrated mark in a young adventurers' exchange. For my one year long (that's 12 full months!!) exchange, I have been here for a total of six. This halfway mark gives me chills both in the excitement and depressing prospective. I started off this wondrous occasion today with a bit of a rough start, for one, it was cleaning day... not all that bad. However, I then had my third consecutive nose-bleed in which the bleeding wouldn't cease until i had lost about 3/4 of a pint. In any case, I am determined to make this day stand out over the rest. Through perseverance, and support of loved ones (here and in the States), I've had a successful exchange thus-far. I cannot thank everyone enough for the mere opportunity to be here, and to have lasted this far, I hope I've done you all proud, and will continue to do so. So I thought I would make a bit of a relapse or reminisce over my experiences... here we go...

    Packing up all the things I possibly could into a few small bags, I left on the 27th of July for the adventure of a lifetime. Upon arrival in this absolutely beautiful country of Germany I was driven to my (first) new home located in Molfsee, just outside of Kiel by my (also first) new family.
(from right to left) Corvin, my host brother, myself, Arianna, host sister-now on exchange in Argentina, Gesa, my host mom, and the one taking the picture is Peter, my host dad.
I spent my first 4 months there with this incredible family. The very day I arrived they treated me with a wonderful German cookout and then we proceeded to the North Sea for a day on the beach. Over the next few weeks there I acquainted myself with the family and friends of my host Family. 
My favorite spot to go and relax, chill, and swim with family and friends, Ramsee.  
Got lost in Kiel, and found myself in a very popular spot, called, Bootshafen. Here they often had bands playing music on a floating raft.


    Before the school year was to begin, the family and I made a trip to the East Sea to familiar camping grounds. To make the trip a little more interesting the entire family traveled by bike, for the exception of my host mom who drove, towing the camper. The distance was approximately 66 Kilometers (or for those of us who speak english-42 miles). While the journey itself was rough, the work was worth it, the camping grounds were absolutely astounding, with a short distance from the white sandy beaches and salty cool waters.
     The following Monday I began school at the Kieler Gelehrtenschule. The school was great and I made friends almost instantaneously.
The same day of my first day at school was the splendid day of my first Rotary Meeting, which took place at the Kieler Kaufmann. There I encountered the other exchange student in my Club, and now my best friend, Rodrigo Campos, from Peru. He and I have been on many adventures already, and I am positive we will continue to have more. There is one thing that never ceases to astound me, and that is the power of friendship that comes from the Rotary Youth Exchange Program. Rodrigo and many others are life-long friends that have an extraordinary emotional bond with me and they will forever be in my thoughts and heart. 
Taking a bit of a leap in my exchange towards October/November, where I had many experiences, we had Herbst-Ferien (Fall Break). Among all the adventures I've had, this trip will be engraved in my mind. Myself and several others had planned a trip to Spain... that's right, SPAIN! Among this group was myself, Rodrigo, Paola Sanchez from Mexico, Anya Benedicto from the Philippines, and Anya's Host Mother who became a rather close friend of mine and German Teacher, Antje Sommerfeld. The trip began as Rodrigo (who was staying at my host parents house for some time) left for the Bahnhof (train station), there we met with the rest of the group and hopped aboard several trains to Bremen, Germany where we caught our flight to paradise... Girona, Spain. The weather was a magnificent 32 (maybe more) degrees Celcius, the Sun was shining, and not a rain cloud in sight.. a nice change from the dreary weather of my beloved City of Kiel. From there we drove to Lloret de Mar, to Roses, to a city near Barcelona, and now we are leaving the beautiful city of Barcelona for Granada, then Madrid following the entire Costa Brava and seeing all it´s wonders. We swam in the Mediterranean, went hiking along the cliffs on the coast, went Club hopping in Lloret de Mar, and visited the esteemed FC Barcelona Stadium. However, my friend, Rodrigo and I, are most certainly looking more forward to the Madrid Stadium and seeing our favorite team.
Arriving at the Airport.

Fun in the Sun in Alicante.

Monk Temple in the Mountains.

Stone Prayer Towers in Roses.

View to the Mediterranean with Rodrigo.

Royal Palace in Madrid. Anya, Paola, myself, and Rodrigo.

American embassy in Madrid. myself, Rodrigo and Paola.

First day in Spain, with Paola.
After being returning to Germany from the bright and sunny Spain we immediately packed up our bags once again to attend our very first RYEP (Rotary Youth Exchange Program) District Conference/Orientation in Heide and Helgoland. This proved to be more fun than I could have anticipated. I took advantage of the chance to meet every single person in our District whom I had messaged back and forth on Facebook, and once again, made life-long ties. 

First group photo.

The Americans.

District 1890's Inbounds '12-'13 at Helgoland.

The Kieler exchangers. Paola, Anya, Rodrigo, myself, Vivi Chen and Bryan (Chen-Chun) Kao-Taiwan, and Mariel Ledon from Mexico.

Anya and me sporting our RYE Blazers.

My good friend from Australia, Damien.
The next amazing trip I had was with Anya and Antje. We had planned a trip to her family's house in Spreewald, on the outskirts of Berlin. Here we made a tour of Berlin, went Kayaking in the Spreewald river-ways (and got lost may i add.), and visited many historically significant sights. 
Brandenburger Tor
*Brandenburg Gate*

Ever-famous AlexanderPlatz

Berlin University.

Berlin Church.

Learning to ride a motorcycle!

Brandenburg Gate.

Nachrichter Preformance in Spreewald.

Kayaking in the Spreewald water-ways.

Myself, Anya, Antje's Niece, and Antje.

Jewish Memorial with Anya.

DDR Officers' hat.

Berlin with these fine people.

Following was an Inbound Meeting day in Hamburg, simply called, HamburgTag. One cannot explain how much fun it can be to tour around Hamburg (city of fun in northern germany), with roughly 50 exchange students from all over the world. After the touring of the city was over, and others were starting to leave I decided, why let the fun stop there? and asked to spend the night at my friend Claudio's (from Mexico) house.
District 1890 in Hamburg.

Overview of the City from the top tower in the St. Michael's Church.

Myself and Paola Davila from Mexico.

Exchangers, friends? no.. Family.

In the upcoming months of December and January I had much on my plate. First, myself and Rodrigo made a trip accompanied by our Club President North, near to the Denmark Border to visit Gluecksburg Castle. This place is famous because the royal family that lived here had many children and when the marriages occurred to foreign princes/princesses, they became allied with these countries. The King there became known as the Father of Europe.
Rodrigo and Club President, Huburtus.

Glueksburg Castle.

Family Symbol.

Furthermore, and shortly after this trip, I had my first Host Family switch. I hadn't known much of this family, and neither did my friends, so naturally I was a little nervous for our first meeting. I had contact with them through email, and they seemed as sweet as sunshine, yet that did little to relieve my anxiousness. All of which melted away when we met for dinner. The Family, Vanero's, originally came from Peru (much like my friend Rodrigo), but moved to Germany around 30 years ago. My mother, Celia, my Father, Juan, Brother Alaan, and other brother (who was in Brasil for the time being), Yorshi. This is the family I am currently in, and this is the family I wish to reside. Their kindness, and care knows no bounds and they ARE a real family. My heart will break the day they leave my sight. They are much like my real parents, whereas they give me everything to make my living here comfortable, and set rules, expectations, and responsibilities, as though I was their real Son... I love them from the bottom of my heart and back. 
Juan, Rodrigo, Alaan, myself, Gabriel, and Micki.

Before we hit Christmas time, we had our second Inbound Meeting in Bad Odesloe and Luebeck. This served as our Christmas party with the other Inbounds as well. I'll just let the pictures tell you themselves...
Paola-Mexico, Isabel- Venezuela, Kris-Mexico, Damien <3 -Australia, Paola- Mexico.

Gathering in the cold for our tour of the city.

Happy Holidays from myself and Isabel <3 .

Myself, Isabel, Damien, and Mariel.

Among the many activities that were planned, one was a presentation in German of how we celebrate Christmas in our Home Countries, The United States was partnered with Canada.

Luebecker Church.

The Spirit of Exchange... aka German Kiessling- Argentina.

Bowling with Paola Davila.

Rodrigo got a strike! :)

District disko Bowling.

Luebeck.

Following the moving in and getting settled in, we soon found ourselves celebrating the holiday seasons. Christmas was absolutely amazing, they had invited over their entire Peruvian Family and we had a real Latino and German mixed Party. The same could be said for New Years; we celebrated until early the next morning, firing fireworks, doing German traditions, and dancing. 
Alaan, MAMI (Celia), and myself.

First dinner, Maurice (host cousin), Miguel (Host Uncle aka Tio Micki), Gabriel (the baby), Tina (host Aunt), Celia, Juan, and myself.

Christmas with my family. Weihnachten mit meine Familie. Navidad con mis Familia.

Furthermore, directly following the New Year's festivities, I was encountered with a surprise from my host parents. My Host brother (and I consider him to be my real brother), Yorshi, had returned from Brasil!!! I love him as a brother, and cherish the time we get to have together. 

Unfortunately, there's always a Night to a Dawn, villain to a Hero, a positive to a negative. A sad part of becoming an exchange student is making such great connections with these amazing, talented and loving people, is having to, one day, say goodbye. Recently, my good friend, Damien, had his exchange come to a close and was forced to go home, despite his intense craving to stay. In honor of him, his time here, and his experience we threw him an "Abschieds Party", or farewell party in his town of Flensburg. 




Damien and his Host mom, Leonor.



funny faces with Damien, Claudio, and I.

Rapping.

Just taking some chill-time

Well, from there on out I've basically just been attending school, visiting my friends and doing life normally... or at least normally enough for us who are lucky enough to call ourselves exchange students. Also, recently, through the efforts, donations, and complete selflessness of Rotary Clubs in Eagle River (my hometown) and Kiel (exchange home), I was able to pay for the Europe Tour that is to take place in May. Stay tuned for more information and pictures and stories. Until then I thank you all for the past six months, and for the remaining five. I am forming into the person that I will be for the rest of my life, and I have only the experiences here and all of you to thank. A song that always reminds me of my time here is "Good Life" by One Republic, the songs reads, "To my friends in New York, I say hello 
My friends in L.A. they don't know 
Where I've been for the past few years or so 
Paris to China to Colorado, Oh this has to be Good Life..."
The Exchange Life truly is the Good Life. If by any means I could spend my whole life like so I would do it. Through hard work and determination I hope to accomplish my dream of traveling forever. 


The perspective of Exchange Students everywhere. The World is ours for the making. Connecting, Uniting, Experiencing, and Serving.


*Thank You.




        

No comments:

Post a Comment